You may not use Turmeric root that often. But if you want to use it, it pays to find out more about this spicy root and how to buy it at the grocery store.
Tumeric Root is very versatile
Not only does it provide your many dishes with a nice robust color, but this spice is also very healthy to eat. It has numerous health benefits that keep your body and brain functioning at top levels.
On top of all that, it adds a unique flavor to your many Asian dishes. It is an all-around spice that makes your meals a family favorite.
Benefits of Turmeric Root
Turmeric root is a commonly used spice in many cuisines and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries due to its many potential health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of turmeric root:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Turmeric contains curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory compound that can help reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Antioxidant properties: Turmeric is also rich in antioxidants, which help protect the body against free radicals that can cause damage to cells and lead to diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Improved brain function: Curcumin in turmeric may also improve brain function and prevent age-related cognitive decline.
- Pain relief: Turmeric has been shown to have pain-relieving properties, making it a natural alternative to over-the-counter pain medications.
- Improved digestion: Turmeric can help improve digestion and reduce symptoms of digestive disorders such as bloating and gas.
- Lowered risk of heart disease: Curcumin may also help lower the risk of heart disease by improving blood vessel function, reducing inflammation, and lowering cholesterol levels.
- Potential cancer-fighting properties: Some studies have shown that curcumin in turmeric may have anti-cancer properties and could help prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells.
Overall, incorporating turmeric root into your diet can have many potential health benefits. However, it is important to speak with a healthcare provider before using turmeric as a supplement or using it to treat any health conditions.
Where to buy turmeric root?
Since it is a healthy spice, you should be able to find this item in the many health food stores that dot the landscape. Or you can go to an all-organic store and find this spice in their produce sections.
But like almost every other product created in this world, you can find Turmeric roots on Amazon. It is sold there by different vendors. This is not a hard-to-get item as it is used around the world by many different chefs to enhance their dishes.
You should be able to find it in your local grocery store as well. It is fairly popular as it is supposed to help with diabetes.
Where is turmeric root located in the grocery store?
This is a spice and you would probably think that this root is located in the spice section of your grocery store. It may be but it may not be in root form. Or it could be placed on the shelf in its root form. How it is displayed is up to the grocer.
Another place to look would be in your produce section. It is a root after all and some grocers may not recognize it as a spice. They may see it as a vegetable and place it with all the other vegetables they sell. If you can’t find it do not be afraid to ask where it is.
What does start fresh turmeric root look like?
There is no nice way to put this. Turmeric root is not the best-looking vegetable, fruit, or spice in your grocery store. It is often described as ginger root’s ugly little cousin and for good reason.
It’s dull to bright yellowish orangish color does not make it very pretty. Then with all the little nodules coming out of its sides, it makes this spice look like it has a mole infestation.
But do not let its looks fool you. It is a very tasty and healthy spice to use in your meal preparations. Once you grind it up, the spice’s looks change from ugly duckling to a beautiful swan
What to look for when you are buying turmeric root?
Turmeric has a short shelf life so you need to know what to look for when you are in your grocery store. That way you can avoid buying Turmeric root that has been sitting around for too long.
When this spice is good, it should have a bright color, firm texture, and be slightly moist. But if you pick one that has the following qualities:
- The skin is old and wrinkled
- The texture is soft & mushy
- There is some brown and other discolorization
- Dark spots have formed on the surface
- Looks too dry
Then bypass that particular root and keep searching for a good one.
When is the best time to buy turmeric root?
This depends on which country the turmeric you buy is grown in. There are different seasons in different countries. For example, India’s growing season is between Jan & July with a short stint between Sept. & Oct.
Vietnam’s growing season is between Feb. & May, while Indonesia’s is between Aug. & Dec. There are other countries that grow this spice and their seasons may be different from these.
What this means is that it is good to buy this spice at any time of the year. Just check the country it is grown in to double-check if the spice is ripe or not.
How much does fresh turmeric root cost?
This too will depend on where you buy it and which country it originated from. Right now, Amazon has some fresh Turmeric root on sale for $15 a pound, depending on the vendor.
Walmart is selling their supply for almost $20 for 2 pounds. What you will pay will be up to the grocer you shop at. Each store will be competitive in price but have its own prices.
If you are not a fan of how turmeric root looks when it is in root form, you can always buy powdered turmeric. This option will be found in your grocer’s spice section.
Some final words
Shopping for turmeric root should not be as hard as it is seasonal most year-round. If you can get past the looks of this product, then your body is in for a healthy treat once you start adding it to your meals.
Look for turmeric root that is firm, unblemished, and has a bright orange color. Avoid turmeric root that is soft or has any signs of mold or decay.